Baked Chicken Chimichangas
Baked Chicken ChimichangasCourse: MainCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (about 3 cups) * (instructions below)
1 cup enchilada sauce (or picante sauce or salsa)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 (4oz) can diced mild green chiles
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (or Mexican blend)
6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
1 Tbsp butter
Optional Garnishes- sour cream, chopped tomatoes and lettuce, guacamole, additional cheese or enchilada/picante sauce
- Preheat oven to 375F . Prepare a baking sheet by spraying with non-stick cooking spray or lining with aluminum foil/parchment paper.
- Place shredded chicken in a large bowl with enchilada sauce (or picante sauce),cumin, diced green chiles and cheese. Mix thoroughly.
- Lay tortillas on a flat surface, like a cutting board. Place ⅙th of the chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla (vertically) leaving an inch or so on each end.
- Fold left side of tortilla toward the center of filling and repeat with the right side, leaving about 1-2 inches of filling showing in the middle.
- While holding the “flaps” on each side, Roll the tortilla up from the bottom and place seam-side down on baking sheet.
- Melt butter in microwave or saucepan on stovetop. Brush over top of tortillas.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes until heated through. Top with additional enchilada( or picante ) sauce and cheese and garnish with sour cream, chopped tomatoes/lettuce or guacamole if desired
- How to Make Shredded Chicken (can be made ahead of time)
In a large pot, add chicken breasts to pot ( try not to overlap too much) and generously season with salt and pepper. Place enough water in the pot to cover chicken by about 1 inch. Bring water to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Cook chicken until it is no longer pink in the center (approx. 8-10 minutes, unless you have very thick chicken breasts in which case it may take closer to 15 minutes.) Cut a small slit in breast with a knife to check if chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Remove chicken breasts from water, place on a cutting board and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes. Use two forks to shred chicken (Use one fork to hold chicken breast against the cutting board and use the other fork to pull /scrap chicken from the breast). If the pieces you pull off the breast are larger than bite size, use two forks to shred/pull apart into smaller pieces.
Make ahead and Freeze
To Make Ahead – Prepare according to direction, (skip the melted butter) and wrap each chimichanga in aluminum foil. Place foil wrapped chimichangas in a Freezer safe ziplock bag or container. When ready to use Bake at 375 ( in aluminum foil wrappers) for 45 minutes. Unwrap after 45 minutes and brush with melted butter. Return to the oven (uncovered) for about 10 minutes ( until lightly browned).