Peaches and Cream Cake
Peaches and Cream CakeCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
- peach filling
1 lbs peaches, chopped (450g)
1/2 cup granulated white sugar (100g)
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (15ml)
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (420g)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature (113g)
1/2 cup canola oil (120ml)
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar (300g)
4 large eggs, room temperature
3 vanilla beans* (or 3tsp=1tbsp vanilla extract)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk, room temperature (360ml)
- whipped cream
3 cups heavy whipping cream (360ml)
1/4 cup granulated white sugar (50g)
- Make the peach filling:** Place all ingredients in a large saucepan and bring over medium heat to a boil. Cook for 5-8 minutes until the peaches get soft. Stir constantly. Blend peaches with an immersion blender roughly. Cook another 5-8 minutes or until the filling has thickened and reduced by about 1/3. Stir constantly. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. It will thicken as it cools.
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C. Line the bottom and the sides of two 8″ (20cm) baking pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Make the cake:
- In a large mixing bowl with a stand or handheld mixer fitted with a whisk or paddle attachment, beat butter, oil, and sugar until creamy for about 2-3 minutes. Add 1 egg at the time and mix until fully incorporated. Add vanilla* and stir to combine. Alternately add dry ingredients and buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Stir just until combined. Divide batter into the two prepared baking pans equally. Bake for 30-33 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Don’t overbake or the cake will be dry. Let cool to room temperature.
- Make the whipped cream:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Assemble the cake:
- Cut a thin layer off the tops of your cakes to create a flat surface. Then cut each cake in half horizontally. Place one cake layer on a cake stand or serving plate. Spread 1/4 of the whipping cream over the cake. Layer with 1/4 of the peach filling. Repeat three more times. Refrigerate 4 hours. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge up to 2 days.
- *First, cut off the straight end of the vanilla bean. Then place the tip of your knife below the curled end and cut the vanilla bean through the middle of the bean lengthwise with a sharp knife. Although you don’t need to cut it all the way through, it’s ok when you do so. Then open the vanilla bean and scrape out the flavorful seeds with the back of your knife. Just use the seeds.