Strawberry Shortcake Scones
Strawberry Shortcake SconesCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter , cut into 1/4-inch cubes
12 small strawberries , hulled and diced
3/4 cup half and half
- For the glaze:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup half and half
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add butter and cut in with a pastry blender (or your hands) until mixture resembles crumbs. Toss in strawberries and coat lightly with the flour mixture.
- Add half and half and fold together gently until the mixture just begins to come together and forms a soft dough. (Do not knead or over mix the dough.)
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and pat into a 1-inch thick rectangle or circle. (If dough is very sticky, sprinkle with just a hint of flour.)
- Using a sharp knife, cut into triangles. (If you shaped your dough into a rectangle, you’ll get 12. If you shaped the dough into a circle, you’ll get 8. Watch the video for guidance!)
- Place scones on prepared baking sheet and bake 16-18 minutes or until cooked through and golden.
- Place a sheet of parchment on a work surface, then place a cooling rack over top of parchment. Remove scones from pan to cooling rack. Cool about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, make glaze by whisking together powdered sugar, vanilla, and half and half until smooth. (If glaze is too thick, add a bit more cream. If it’s too thin, add more powdered sugar.)
- Gently dunk the tops of the scones in the glaze or drizzle over the top. (Glaze will firm up when scones are completely cool.) Eat and enjoy!