Vegan Mashed Potato Bowls
Vegan Mashed Potato BowlsCourse: MainCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
- Crispy Tofu Nuggets
15 oz (1 block) Extra firm tofu, pressed
1 Cup Non dairy milk, I used almond milk
1 Teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
3/4 Cup All purpose flour
1/2 Cup Corn starch
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Cups Panko bread crumbs
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes
2 Pounds (about 4 large or 6 small) Yukon gold potatoes
1/4 Cup Vegan butter( I used Earth Balance)
1/4 Cup Non dairy milk
Salt and pepper to taste
- Simple Vegan Gravy
2 Tablespoons Vegan butter
2 Tablespoons All purpose flour
1 Cup Vegetable broth
1/2 Teaspoon Poultry Seasoning (sage, thyme, rosemary, nutmeg)
Salt and Pepper to taste
- For The Bowls
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Start the crispy tofu first.
- Take your pressed tofu and cut the block into cubes. Sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and set aside.
- Now, in a small bowl, combine the non dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Whisk and set aside.
- Then, in a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, corn starch, and salt. Then, whisk the milk and vinegar mixture into the dry ingredients. Whisk until fully combined. In a separate bowl, add the panko.
- Next, dip each tofu cube into the wet batter, then roll in the panko to fully coat. Then place the coated tofu on a baking sheet sprayed with non stick spray. Repeat with all the tofu.
- Spray the tops of the tofu with more non stick spray and bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping after about 10 minutes. Bake until crispy and light brown.
- While the tofu is baking, make the mashed potatoes. Peel the potatoes if you want(I like to leave the skins on), chop into small cubes. Add the potato cubes to a pot of water. Then turn the heat on high and bring to a boil. Boil, reducing heat as needed until the potatoes are tender and smash easily. About 15-20 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are done, drain them. Return to the pot, smash them with a potato smasher, a ricer or in a mixer. Then add the vegan butter, non dairy milk and a few pinches of salt and pepper, then whip it all together to make them nice and creamy. Taste and adjust seasoning( you can always add a splash more milk or butter if needed). Set aside.
- Next make the gravy. In a medium sized skillet, melt the vegan butter, then whisk the flour in to form a paste, also called a roux. Then add the veggie broth, whisk to fully dissolve the roux into the veggie broth. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Bring to a simmer, whisking for a few minutes until it thickens. Then whisk in the poultry seasoning and a pinch of salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove from heat.
- Once everything is done, scoop some mashed potatoes into a bowl, top with crispy tofu, corn, veggies and drizzle gravy over the top. Serve immediately!
- If you don’t want to use tofu, any veggies will work. Or you can do half and half which is what I like to do.